Reddish raised scab in lip area post a lip laceration. Taking antibiotics & applied neosporin. Is this part of normal healing process?

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
I had a lip laceration 48 hours ago. Emergency doctor applied many stitches both above and below the lip line. Appeared to do a good meticulous job. Now the lip area appears to be an orange/red raised scab. I have been taking antibiotics as perscribed and have applied neosporin to the area. Is this relation normal healing process. Should the scab be cleaned or removed?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Beauty
Answered by Dr. Surindher 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Yes, during the course of normal healing, the swelling does increase for the first 48-72 hours after which it will start reducing. Please clean the area properly with soap and water which will help remove any loose scabs or any dried out secretions at the suture line.

However, do not try and forcefully remove any scab as that could result in a raw area. Please keep applying the Neosporin to the area, so as to keep it moist.

In case, removable sutures have been used, you need to get the sutures removed by the 5th day to reduce scarring.

I hope I have answered your query. I would be available for follow ups.

Follow-up: Reddish raised scab in lip area post a lip laceration. Taking antibiotics & applied neosporin. Is this part of normal healing process? 7 hours later
Thank you. Typically how long does it take for the large scab to come off and the dissolving sutures on the lip part to disappear? I will have the standard stitches above the lip removed on Friday or Saturday which will be the 5th day.
Thank-you Doctor for your response.
Answered by Dr. Surindher 18 hours later
Thank you for the follow up.
Typically, the scabs should fall off by the 6th or 7th day, which is why I asked you to wash the area.
The absorbable sutures will fall off around the 7th or 8th day. The non absorbable sutures can be removed on the 5th or the 6th day to reduce scarring.
Also, you could try using a silicon based cream to help the scar mature better. Your treating physician could then prescribe the same for you.
Thank you and wishing you a speedy recovery