Reddish patch on the groin area. Biopsy showing cancer. History of prostrate cancer. Need advice

My husband has prostate cancer and has gone through radiation. He now has a red welt looking patch in the groin are, was sent to a dermatologist who took a biopsy and said the area was a cancer, and would have to be cut out. Is there a name for this cancer? Can you tell me any more?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

The fact that a biopsy was performed indicates that a true diagnosis has been made. There are several different types of skin cancer and I am sure that your dermatologist has the final diagnosis from the pathologist who read the specimen. 

Among the different types of skin cancer are squamous cell cancer as well as basal cell cancer. A very rare form of skin cancer is melanoma. I suspect that this skin cancer that your dermatologist is referring to is either squamous or basal cell carcinoma

These types of cancers are usually very limited in extent and are removed typically with a surgical procedure. These procedures are performed either by a dermatologist or by a plastic surgeon. It is important to remove not only the cancer but a small portion of normal skin surrounding the cancer to make sure any margin is completely clean and clear of any residual cancer cell. 

Again I am sure that your dermatologist has a final report from the pathologist with a true diagnosis. You could request a copy of this report and send it to my attention at the following e-mail address: sub:ATTN DR Robert Galamaga, YYYY@YYYY

I think you once again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert