Ask a Urologist   »  

Reddish painful penis with dryness. What is it?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My tip of penis gets red and it hurts badly.its also have sings of cut and dryness on tip of penis with lots of irritation and pain. plzzzzzzzzz suggest what to do.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
From the history it seems that you might be having balanitis, an inflammatory state of the glans penis.

Since the penis is a highly vascular organ, any slight superficial injury will appear like a red or bluish "Angry" looking lesion. But this is a benign condition and heal on its own and subsides on its own. Superadded infections and a delayed healing are possible since you are a diabetic.

Application of 1 % Hydrocortisone cream to the red and inflamed part of the penis might help reduce the discomfort and sensitivity.

In addition taking medication like Ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day will help in early resolution of the symptoms.

In addition development of symptoms including fever, mucopurulent discharge, burning micturition, ulceration, bleeding from the discolored areas of the penis and enlarged lymph nodes in the groin are symptoms that you should watch out for. In such a situation consulting a doctor for a examination and STD testing might be helpful.
Meanwhile follow these lifestyle modifications:
1.) Maintain proper hygiene
2.) Avoid sexual contact with a stranger
3.) Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight
4.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables
5.) During bathing, retract the foreskin to adequately clean and dry the area.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Reddish painful penis with dryness. What is it? 16 hours later
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If it is persistent for last more than 9 months then it needs oral anti fungal agents for proper cure. You need to consult your dermatologist who will confirm the diagnosis after examination of scrapings from the area and will prescribe you the drugs accordingly.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.