Reddish lump in the inner thigh, burning sensation. Advice?

I hve a pimple size lump on my left inner thigh. I have had it for about a year and a half. Started out the same color as my skin pigmintation and has recently turned red. Has not really changed in size since the initial growth in the first month. It is hard and there is some discomfort in my inner thigh/groin area. A burningish sensation. At first I thought my boxers where just riding up really hard on that side of my groin but the comfort has become more of a burning sensation over the last year. I have tried to pop it before and nothing happens except that the discomfort gets worse for a few days. Please advise. Thank you
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

A small painless hard lump on the inner side of thigh can possibly be due to-

1. A lipoma or neurofibroma- a lump of fibrous tissue/adipose tissue. Its not cancerous and not harmful. Surgical removal is sometimes needed when there is function impairment or when you develop symptoms.
2. A lymph node swelling - usually seen in the presence of any infection in the area or viral illness.
3. A benign tumor usually involving soft tissue structures or underlying muscle tissue.
4. Boil or Abscess: It generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus.
5. Sebaceous cyst: It is filled with a soft, whitish brown material that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. This material is called sebum. If this protruding is accompanied by pain as well then there is a possibility of infection.

Since you are having discomfort and it has become red it indicates development of infection which needs to be treated with oral antibiotics.

For the confirmation of diagnosis, you need to get this lump examined from a doctor and get a MRI scan for any soft tissue growth and a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) done.

Till then, you get this lump examined from a doctor, apply warm compresses on the lump because if it is a swollen lymph node or boil then application of warm compresses will help.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.