Reddish itchy rash on the groin area. Using neosporin. Remedy?

I have a red itchy rash on my crotch area that up until yesterday was ok with an application of baby powder.
Today however, the area has become dry and cracked. So after my shower I did not use the baby powder but instead used Neo Sporin cream. It as remained dry and cracked but does not itch.

Suggestions please
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Red itchy rash in the groin is usually due to a fungal infection which thrives in moist and humid area of the skin folds especially the groins.

For treatment, follow the following treatment measures:

1)     Wash your groin daily and then dry thoroughly by XXXXXXX drying, not rubbing. A hairdryer is useful if you have hairy groins. The damp groin is an ideal site for fungi to multiply.

2)     Wear cotton underwear and change them twice a day and do not share other people‚Äôs towels.

3)     Use Neosporin cream on the dry, cracked area and apply a thin layer of the cream. Since you are not having any itching now, hence topical antifungal are not to be used without any medical supervision.

4)     Use mild soaps like Dove or Cetaphil on the area.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.