Ask a Urologist   »  

Reddish itchy bump on the penis. No fever, blistering. Herpes?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
Hi, i am 22 years old and am experiencing symptoms in the genital region. I have 1 very small red bump on the head of the penis on the lower right side, and a tiny bit of redness on the lower left side. I also experience itching; however, there are no other symptoms (No pain, fever, blistering, clustering, crusting) . The 1 bump is not painful nor is itchy. I have some thoughts that it may be a side effect from chaffing since the irritations are equilateral in placements. I pray that is not herpes as i have read some cases can be extremely mild..
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 6 hours later
Your symptoms are most likely due to genital mucosal irritation or allergy due to rubbing or a mild fungal or bacterial infection.
Herpes in unlikely in your case since the lesions in herpes are usually fluid filled vesicles to start with, however small they might be and they are painful, if burst they might show erosion.
But nevertheless, it is best to consult your doctor if the lesions persist for more than a week.
The doctor after a thorough examination can confirm the diagnosis and start appropriate local antifungal applicants or antibiotics, if needed.
Meanwhile, if it’s just a mucosal irritation or abrasion, it will heal on its own and you just have to ensure that adequate genital hygiene is maintained and keep the area as dry as possible and avoid scratching or rubbing it.
If you develop any new symptom like pus discharge, or pain or burning during urination or fever, please seek prompt consultation.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Reddish itchy bump on the penis. No fever, blistering. Herpes? 15 hours later
Since my last post the bump on my penis has receded; however, you can tell somewhat that it was there. The bump is now the same pigment as the area. I am experiencing a lot of itching though, mainly on my thighs, and less often on my shins and hands. If this indeed is not an STD, how may i treat it so the itching is less prominent? also it seems to be at its worst at night.

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 8 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
You might experience itching during healing phase of any lesion, especially during dry and cold conditions. Such itching may resolve on its own once the lesion heals completely.
For temporary relief, you can take Tablet cetrizine 10 mg once daily and apply calamine lotion locally on that area. Applying a moisturizer would also help if you are currently experiencing any dryness.
If itching persists for more than a week, do consult your doctor for ruling out a fungal infection.
Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Reddish itchy bump on the penis. No fever, blistering. Herpes? 46 minutes later
What are the possibilities that it could be if it persists longer than a week?

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 8 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

The conditions like fungal or atypical bacterial infection might be possible if itching and redness persist. If there are no lesions (only itching) still fungal infection should be ruled out or a trial of local antifungal dusting powder containing clotrimazole (candid) or ketoconazole (keto) might be prescribed for local application to inner thighs and perineum.

So, do consult your doctor for the same if required.