Ask a Urologist   »  

Reddish bumps on the penis after having unprotected sex. No irritation or burning

Question
I recently had unprotected sex two days ago with a good friend whom I don't believe has an Std and after going tanning tonight I have noticed many small red bumps on my penis without irritation. Very worried. Again there is no irritation or burning, or discharge. I have not applied any antibiotic or taken oral antibiotics.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 27 minutes later

From the symptoms that you have described, these bumps sound like small irritated hair follicles causing folliculitis or clogged pores. Folliculitis starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle.

As far as the treatment is concerned, apply warm compresses and keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also avoid wearing tight fitting clothes and wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and underwear. Wash the area well with an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as Neosporin are also useful.

In case, the bumps turn painful or causes open sores, Herpes should be ruled out. Till then wear cotton clothes and try not to irritate the bumps. You can also send me a picture of the lesion at YYYY@YYYY with sub: “ATTN Dr Jasvinder singh” or attach the photo with this query so that I can have a look at your photo and it will help me in understanding your condition better.

You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Regards.

Follow-up: Reddish bumps on the penis after having unprotected sex. No irritation or burning 9 hours later
Does it require extra money for me to send a picture?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

You will not be charged for it.

You can attach the photo with this query and send it across. You can also send me a picture of the lesion at YYYY@YYYY with sub: “ATTN Dr Jasvinder singh”.

Hope it helps. Take care.

I have attached the photo

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 12 hours later
Thanks for writing back to me.
I have seen the picture and it does not look like a sexually transmitted disease. It looks like irritated skin which is causing red small bumps. These should get better with topical antibiotics like Neosporin powder, wearing cotton clothes and warm compresses.

Regards.

Follow-up: Reddish bumps on the penis after having unprotected sex. No irritation or burning 23 hours later
Thank you for your response,

I have also developed a red rash on my scrotum. Is it possible I am having some sort of allergic reaction?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 17 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

If the recent red rash on scrotum is itchy then there is a possibility of a fungal infection. Keep the skin dry and softly XXXXXXX it dry with a soft towel. Keeping the area as dry as possible help in quick healing. If the symptoms persist then topical antifungal lotion may be needed which is available under prescription and should be used under a medical guidance.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards.