Reddish bumps and splotches under the eye. Is this perioral dermatitis? Any over the counter medication?

Hi, I keep getting these red bumps and splotches along the skin just under my left eye. Everything I've been looking at online points to perioral dermatitis. I'm wondering if there is any over the counter medication that I could try before going to a dermatologist.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 27 minutes later
Hello and thanks for query.

I understand your concern and will try my best to help you but to be able to answer you, I would need to know a few more details regarding your problem. Please answer the following...

Since when are you having these red bumps?

Are these red bumps itchy?

Do these bumps ooze?

Can you identify any particular cosmetic product or some new detergent with which you might have come into contact following which these get worse? Or some thing else which triggers these red bumps?

Please do write back to me with the answers so that I can help you better.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Reddish bumps and splotches under the eye. Is this perioral dermatitis? Any over the counter medication? 1 hour later

I've been having the problem for about 3 weeks now with some days more visible than others. There is no itching or oozing but there is mild soreness. I don't wear makeup but I am a sculptor and my face comes into contact with all kinds of sawdust , metal dust, clay dust and other environmental by products that come with the trade. I was pulling a series of overnighters in the studio the week this started. I can't think of anything new to my routine or product useage that would have triggered this. I have started making my own skin lotion but that is just with raw shae butter, cocoa butter and olive oil. I don't apply it to my face but I'm sure it's still on my hands when I apply my face lotion.

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 hours later
Your history suggests it to be probably contact dermatitis may be caused by some allergen in various dusts you come into contact with.
You may try some following methods failing which you may consult a dermatologist.
Wash your face few times a day
Whenever you are applying some thing on your face,you must wash your hands with soap and water
Cold compress around your eyes
May apply piece of cucumber on them
Avoid anything which can dilate bloodvvessels around your eyes like alcohol or strenuous exercises.
Local application of hydrocortisone cream

Do it for few weeks and see
If the symptoms don't must consult a dermatologist.
Thanks and good luck