Red welt near the wrist, no hurt or itch. How can it be treated?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 7 yr old has one red welt near her wrist for 1 week now. It does not hurt or itch. The welt is very red and is on the inside of her arm near the wrist. It has not changed in appearance. It is almost 1 inch in legnth.
Posted Sat, 7 Jul 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
A red welt near the wrist is likely to be due to an allergic dermatitis or an infective cause. Such welts may develop because of obstructed sebaceous or sweat glands, inflammation of hair follicles.

Since there is no pain or itching, you can apply warm compresses to the area for about 30 minutes, four times daily.

If the surrounding area has any surrounding skin infection then you will need to get antibiotics prescribed by a Physician. However a direct examination by a dermatologist will help in proper diagnosis and specific treatment if the symptoms aggravate.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Red welt near the wrist, no hurt or itch. How can it be treated? 24 hours later
Thank you we are trying the compresses
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The hot compress is likely to help her. Do not burst the welt as it might cause infection.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.