Red, welt-like scrotal rash, swollen, itching, cortisone, epsom salt, tea tree oil ineffective

Hello how are you,

Just 2 days ago i got this welty red rash on my scrotum and and has puffed up bad and itches like this incredible itch ive never felt in my life!! Ive tried 1% cortozon cream and, soaking in epsom salt, and now tea tree oil but nothings working please help me I can send you picture if you like
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Also I thank you for sending the picture. I have seen it.

This does look like a significant Dermatitis which could be allergic or infectious in nature.

I would advise that you also obtain some over the counter antifungal cream. This cream is Called clotrimazole and is readily available at any pharmacy. I think within a day or so of using this cream you should experience a symptomatic improvement. Use the cream 3 times per day.

You might also use some oral Benadryl as well to calm down some of the itching.

In the absence of recent exposures to something like poison ivy or some new soaps or detergents I think a pure allergy is less likely and I am more inclined to think this is a fungal phenomenon.

I thank you again for the query and hope my answer is helpful and informative. Should you have additional questions I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Red, welt-like scrotal rash, swollen, itching, cortisone, epsom salt, tea tree oil ineffective 7 hours later
Ok great thank you that is very helpfull. Can you tell me why it is spreading to my buttox and back also the back of my leg i almost feel like there mites or something but we keep our apartment fairly clean except for the occassional cochroach ? i know it sounds gross but its almost impossible to get rid of those lil stinkers. Also why does it feel so great when i take a burning hot shower on the infected part it takes away the itch for a while and then when i get out ill put some ice on it right away? is this good i will be buying the cream you suggessted tomorrow but in the mean time thanks in advance
Also if it is over the counter how do i purchase this?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 16 hours later
Hello and thanks for the followup.

Fungal rashes can spread. As you mention we must also consider the possibility of small mites or bedbugs in this case. I would try the clotrimazole cream first - it is available over the counter and if it does not make a difference within 48 hours we can consider something else.

The hot shower effectively knocks out some of the nerve fibers and their ability to transmit the sensation of itch or pain. When the skin returns to normal temperature the sensation likely returns. I see no problem in you trying the hot and then cold therapy to this area.

You might also consider purchasing Aveeno oatmeal bath. This is a tablet you drop in the bathtub and it will dissolve. Then you take a soak in the bath and it can provide a tremendous degree of relief over time. This is available at your local pharmacy as well. Ask the pharmacist for help in finding it if you are not able to.

Thanks again for the query. I hope this has served to be helpful and informative. Please let me know if I can be of any additional assistance.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Red, welt-like scrotal rash, swollen, itching, cortisone, epsom salt, tea tree oil ineffective 3 days later
hello I have been waiting a couple days to see if this would completely go away> i got prescribed the prescription cream not the over the counter cream instead. It was an insane $75.00 and not even refillable which is what i needed because i have now run out and the red swelling and bumps that have spread to my buttox have all gone away. THANK GOD, but my scrotum still at times gets very itchy not as bad as it was but its still an uncontrolable itch and my scrotum is still red?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello again and thanks for the followup.

I am sorry to hear the cream was so expensive. If you can tell me the name of the cream perhaps I can find you a good over the counter alternative for it. Sometimes we can do this depending on the nature and ingredients of the actual cream.

The skin of the scrotum is exquisitely sensitive and it may take some time for the inflammation to completely go away.

Thanks again for the query. I await any update you can give me regarding the cream you were given so I can continue to provide you with some guidance.

Dr. Galamaga