Red swollen rash under armpits, painfull in a child. Treatment and advise?

My 8 year old son has a very red swolen rash under both his armpits..says its very painfull
Posted Thu, 24 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Thanks for your query

The swollen rash under the armpits could be due to allergic reactions, simple folliculitis or due to lymphadenaitis.

I would like to know some more details to be more specific

Does he have fever ?
Since how many days is the rash there ?
Is he allergic to any foods or materials ?
Has he been using any deo or underarm sprays ?
Is there any similar complaint in the groin ?

Waiting for your reply.
Follow-up: Red swollen rash under armpits, painfull in a child. Treatment and advise? 2 hours later
No fever that i noticed..cough and runny nose tho
...not alergic to he doese not use rash around the groin looks like its apoering on his but

Rash only been there 2 days
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Absence of fever and short duration of the rash makes me consider it to be an allergic rash associated with swelling.Usually the allergic rash is associated with a wheal more than a swelling. Swelling here is because of the area and the type of skin involved.The armpit skin is XXXXXXX in fat hence presents with swelling even in a allergic rash.

I would suggest you to give him antihistaminics like ZYRTEC syrup 5ml twice daily after food and observe the rash. If there is no relief then he may have to be examined in detail by a GP.Examination findings will give more clue and help to arrive at definet diagnosis.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.