Red, swollen and painful great toe. Should I be concerned?
User rating for this question
I have one big toe that is red, swollen, feels warm and is painful to touch. I have not stubbed, hit, or dropped anything on my toe. The nail bed is also somewhat red but otherwise normal looking. Is this likely something to be concerned about? Would ice or a topical medication be helpful?
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Cellulitis great toe Detailed Answer: Hi, I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I will be able to help you in the same. Now from the description that you have provided, it looks like you have developed cellulitis of the great toe. Cellulitis means a deep infection of the great toe. Now first of all, I would like to tell you that you need to take it seriously since such infections tend too increase very soon. Only topical therapy is not that effective in such cases. You might need to take a course of oral antibiotics . Penicillins or cephalosporins are the ones mostly required. In addition, you can take oral pain killers along as these tend to act as anti inflammatory drugs also and so there will help in reducing the associated swelling and pain. You should keep the foot end elevated whenever sitting or when lying down. This will prevent any swelling or oedema of the feet. Giving cold compresses can be useful in reducing the inflammation. Hope it helps. If you have any other query, please let me know. Dr Geetika Paul.
People also viewed
- Why is my daughters eye not blinking often
- My big toe is red swollen and painful this morning
- Is there any alternative for prolia injection
- Middle toe suddenly swollen red painful warm
- Can lamisil at cure tinea corporis?
- Is focalabsence and petit mal seizures correlated with heart problem
- Does pacemaker cause severe copd and pneumonia
- Will diprolene treat lichen planus?
- Can sporanox cure dermatophytosis?
- Can i take epiduo for blackheads ?
- Is drooping of mouth a common symptom after getting shingles
- Red swollen painful big toe
- Problem swollen red painful small toe
- Red swollen and painful great toe should i be concerned
- Can valrelease cure startle disease ?