Red swelling in labia, pus discharge, white cloudy discharge. Can you please help?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi doc,
I am been having a red swelling on my labia for the past one and a half week now. Today, there was a pus discharge as well, and from then, I have been having a white cloudy discharge. Can you please help me out. For information, I sometimes get these red bumps once a year. I can't remember how it started. I am not married, although I sometimes have sex with my fiancee. Thank you
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 19 minutes later
Hi there.

You have provided with good information and I appreciate it. In order to guide you appropriately, I will need a few more details regarding your problem, so please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.

Do you have diabetes ? Are you on any medication ?

Do you use any irritating douches or trauma to vagina ?

It appears the red swelling on the labia is due to infection of a gland called Bartholin's gland. This infection is called Bartholin abscess which discharges pus.

This infection occurs when the Bartholin gland gets blocked and fluid gets collected to form a lump. Sometimes this fluid gets infected and becomes pus forming Bartholin abscess. This pus can burst out and form cloudy discharge.

Kindly avoid sex or masturbation till this gets resolved. Avoid douching as well. You may apply warm fomentation and take mild pain killer anti-inflammatory drug for relief from pain and inflammation. Keep the area clean and hygienic. Drink plenty of water to prevent symptoms.

Kindly do show to a Gynecologist who will perform a thorough examination to find any detectable causes and also look for vaginal infection which can also cause recurrent Bartholin gland infection. You will require possible incision and drainage or marsupialization by surgical procedure and also antibiotic treatment to eradicate the infection. Also get Blood sugar tested to look for presence of Diabetes which can also cause recurrent infections.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Red swelling in labia, pus discharge, white cloudy discharge. Can you please help? 10 hours later
Thank you for your answer.

No, I do not have diabetes, nor am I taking any medicines other than some homeo drops for my poly cystic ovaries, and the course was over two weeks ago. I also do to use any form of irritating douches or trauma to the vagina. The last time I had sex was a month ago.

I am planning to go to visit a gyno in some time from now, and hope to get this treated. Do you recommend further tests?

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 32 minutes later
Hi there.

Thanks for the reply.

Usually a common battery of tests to look for possible immunosuppressive disorders, diabetes etc is done.

Keep good hygiene of the area to prevent recurrent infections.

Your Gynecologist shall evaluate the problem and usually perform surgical procedure like incision and drainage with marsupiliazation to prevent further episodes.

Wishing speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Red swelling in labia, pus discharge, white cloudy discharge. Can you please help? 4 hours later
Thank you, I went and saw a gyno. Surprisingly, she could to find the bump, probably because everything had drained out yesterday. She said it was some infection and gave me anti biotics ( augmentin) to take for 5 days.

She also prescribed similar tests, and also tests for my poly cystic ovaries. The tests showed a complex left ovarian cyst, and follicles in right ovary.

Thank you much.

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 40 minutes later
Hi there and thanks again,

I am happy that you saw a gynecologist. Antibiotics are essential to treat current infection. It will eradicate the infection. In addition also drink plenty of water to prevent symptoms.

Sometimes these swellings can recur again unless surgical procedure like marsupialization is done.

The follicles of complex ovarian cyst are part of the Polycystic ovarian disease. Diabetes may be associated in such cases. Have strict diet control. Have low carbohydrate diet. Do daily brisk walking for 40 minutes a day. Weight loss to maintain normal weight range is important in cure of Polycystic ovarian disease. Oral contraceptive pills also have benefit.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more concerns. If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Wish good health.