Red stretch marks appeared on thighs. Disappears after rubbing. What could this be?

My daughter has what appears to be red stretch marks on her inner thighs and inner upper arms. When she rubs them they disappear, but then come back shortly after. What could this be? They appeared quite suddenly and don't seem to be going away. We have tried using vitamin E to get rid of them.
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
If the marks are disappearing, then the possible causes could be simply an allergy or friction ( which can be due to her being on the heavier side)
The ideal thing would be if you could possibly upload a picture of the same. I also wanted to know if there is any itching in that area. Till then, I would suggest the following:
a. Give her Tablet Zyrtec 10 mg once daily and see if it helps. If it does not , please do not continue the medication beyond 2-3 days
b. Instead of using vitamin E, tell her to use a light moisturizer on that area and thereafter keep it clean and dry.
c. She should be looking to lose weight. A healthy diet with some exercise should do the trick.
Awaiting your reply