Red streaks in stool since including salad in supper, no pain or itching. Cause?

General Surgeon
I have had small bright red streaks in my stool the last 2 times going to the restroom. I have recently (last 2 weeks) starting eating salad for supper, ( lettuce, tomatoes,cheese, boiled eggs,croutons,). I have also added 1 to 2 red apples a day to my diet. I have no abdominal pain, no blood on tissue after wiping.I am also very stressed at times, (I work in Afghanistan) I have no rectal itching, although I have had external hemiroiads in the past.By the way the streaks or no longer than 1/2 to 3/4 in long. Can you please give your input to my situation. Thank you DR. for your time.
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 46 minutes later
If the blood streaks are associated with hard stool and pain during defecation,then it can be due to Fissure in ano,a crack in the anal canal.So,the stool should be soft.
If the blood is not associated with hard stool and pain during defecation,then it can be due to Haemorrhoids.
Please take high fiber diet.
Lactulose solution should be taken for stool softening.
If fissure is ano is present,local application of Diltiazem/Nifedipine cream will be helpful.
If the blood is still coming after fiber diet and soft stools,please consult a surgeon and proceed accordingly.
wish you good health