Red streak on side of stool and lower back pain. Should I be concerned?

Within the last 6 weeks I've had diahrea. Imodium help correct for a day or so but returns. Now within the last week the diahrea has passed but I will notice a red streak on the side my stool. On the bottom quadrant of my right lower back I have an ache that seem to stay. I've had the same symptons before about a year and a half ago. The Dr. ordered a bllod occult and and they said it was some kind of bacteria or paracite infection. I'm 67.
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Requires a proctoscopy/Sigmoidoscopy

Detailed Answer:

We generally advise people of this age who complain of blood streaks in the stool to undergo thorough investigation including sigmoidoscopy and sometimes upto the colonoscopy. This event most probably be benign but the cause has to be ascertained till the end. When I mean benign it could be anal fissure to piles. They can be known with digital rectal examination plus anoscopy. If found to be piles or fissure simple remedies are available.

However I suggest for an entire lower bowel look by a scope for the cause of bleeding. Your age adds to the risk. If your doctor is not worried and just relates to parasitic infection insist him on thorough evaluation by a Colon surgeon or Endoscopist.

Hope you understand the importance at this stage.