Red stools, H-Pylori infection, weight loss. Taking Pylera medication. History of acidity problems. Treatment for infection?

Hello Dr, I am suffering from H-Pylori infection. I am not having any kind of pain in stomach but my stool was more red than normal. Now I am taking Pylera tabs( 10 day course,3 days remaining) and my stool is normal now. But still I am loosing weight( I already lost 25 pounds in last 2 months and from last week I lost 1 pound more while medication)? Why?? It should stop right? And does smoking affect medication or curing?? I have too much acidity problem.

Please suggest me proper diet and can I continue my gym also. I am MBA student.

Thank You.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 3 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query.

H. pylori is a bacteria which lies on the surface of the stomach and induces gastric inflammation. It can remain silent for variable periods of time. Depending on the site of gastric inflammation it produces - Duodenal ulcer when it is predominantly antral infection 2) Gastric ulcer, stomach cancers (in few and after years of gastritis) when it affects the entire stomach.

Smoking does increase the ulcerogenic potential of H. pylori.

The amount of weight loss you have experienced is not seen with plain H. pylori infection, unless you were having recurrent vomiting and a poor intake. It needs a separate assessment and has to be managed accordingly.

Since there are antibiotics in the H. pylori treatment regimen some amount of bloating and flatulence are common but weight loss is normally not seen.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Red stools, H-Pylori infection, weight loss. Taking Pylera medication. History of acidity problems. Treatment for infection? 54 minutes later

Thank you very much for reply. I asked several doctors here about my weight loss and they said it is because your digestion is not properly functioning. I just want to know that how much time it takes to cure completely means within 10 days of course or I will have to wait after that also? And what could be the reason for my weight loss, as all my other reports are normal?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 5 hours later

H. pylori treatment is offered for 10 days and 14 days. The cure rate is around 10-15% more with a 14 day course. Present day regimens cure it in 80-93% of cases. However immunity is not induced with this infection and hence one is always at risk of re-infection (from contaminated food and water).

Regarding weight loss one has to have a good history from you and a few tests like the thyroid examinations and others as deemed necessary.