Red stool after taking benadyl for skin rash. Should I be concerned?

Excellent

Question
My daughter is 9, and she took Benadyl last night, for her skin rash. Today she has red stool. The red is not a very small amount, but it does look like Benadryl's color, i.e., not bright red, rather rosy red. What should we do?
Posted Sat, 26 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Red in stool is a concern for blood. That said, many things can color the stool that are not blood. In addition, blood in the stool is not very common in a healthy 8 year old girl.
My interpretation of your question is that you think the redness in her stool could be due to the XXXXXXX in the benadryl, but you are worried that it could be something else.
1. Bleeding from above the lower bowel (mouth, stomach) is more serious, but also usually causes stool to be black and tarry, not so much reddish. If this is the case, you should seek immediate medical attention.
2. GI symptoms are the most important thing. If your daughter is having any nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, etc. then you seek medical attention. Other symptoms like fever, chills, weight loss are also important. If there are no symptoms, then the concern is much less.
3. Bright red blood is usually from things like hemorrhoids or fissures. These are generally not medical emergencies.
Therefore, if the stools are not black/tarry and there are no symptoms, you can probably wait to see if the rosy color goes away naturally, which it probably will.