Red spots on tongue, ulcers in mouth, fever, staph infection, low iron

my grand daughter has red spots on tongue, ulcers in her mouth, low grade temperature, nappy rash-showed staph infection on swab,extremly bad tempered, sleeps for 3 hours in the day,very pale and blood test showed low iron stores.........but nobody can tell us what the cause is. We are so frustrated. .....can anyone please help us.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 5 hours later

Low iron stores indicate iron deficiency state. It is most often associated with anemia - "Iron deficiency anemia". This can explain mouth ulcer, tongue inflammation and tiredness/sleepiness. Anemia is also known to contribute to the causes of on and off fever.

Most common cause of iron deficiency among infants is nutritional. Though 'Losec' is known to interfere with iron absorption, under the current circumstances I do not feel it could have reduced iron stores (iron stores starts depleting due to chronic deficiency).

Nappy rash is an incidental occurrence here and unrelated to other problems.

An improved diet containing good quality iron XXXXXXX food along with iron supplements would be necessary. You may also need to keep a watch on her hemoglobin levels. Blood transfusions are entailed when hemoglobin values are seriously low.

Apart from this one also needs to look for worm infestations. Rarely microscopic bleeding via stools may be responsible for this state, so it may need evaluation. You may want to discuss these with a hematologist, if not a pediatric hematologist and get the tests done.

You may know some of these details, but I hope I have provided bit of clarity on the problem

I will be available to answer your follow up queries as well.

Warm Regards