Red spots on genital area after having sex. Given antibiotics for folliculitis. Cause?

Mar 2013
I have recently started a new relationship and after the second time of having sex, my boyfriend had some red spots come up around his genital area. He went to the doctors and was diagnosed with folliculitis and given antibiotics. This cleared the spots but then when we had sex again they came back. We are both clear of STDs. I was also wondering if me shaving can have any effect? I don't have any symptoms and he washes thoroughly after sex.
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Thanks for your query
Folliculitis in males is very common in the genital area.
Vigorous sex causes local trauma to the hair follicles, triggering folliculitis in susceptible males.
A dense hair growth in the area, and constant moisture are generally exacerbating factors.
It would help if your boyfriend shaves or clips the genital hair.
At times, in case of recurrent folliculitis, some males prefer to go for permanent laser removal of hair.
Of course, you shaving or clipping would help, in case you are transmitting any bacteria, and it always aids better sexual hygiene.
Have his blood sugars also tested, avoid tight underclothing, ask him to use an anti fungal talc on the groin area all through the day to keep it dry.
And yes, clipping / shaving is recommended for both of you.
Not all infections are picked up on routine STD testing.
Have yourself examined by a Gynecologist and have a vaginal swab for any latent infection.

Take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.