Red spots on body after hot shower, mild itching, scabies. What could it be ?

Dermatologist
Question

Red spots on body after hot shower, mild itching, scabies? bed bugs? allergy?
=============

I have been experiencing some mild itching for the past month. I have no visible rash throughout the day. But when I take a hot shower my chest and back develop red rash and bumps. Sometimes, I get an itching sensation at night.

After searching the internet for help, I was worried this might be scabies. But after going to the std clinic, the doc told me he didn't think it was scabies. He did, however give me a treatment of permethrin, and I did no itch after the first dose. But it's been 3 days and my symptoms are back. I tested negative for all std's. And my partner has no symptoms like mine.

The doctor told me that if it was scabies, I would have the red rash all the time, not just after a hot shower. Could it just be too early to tell? Will my body develop a rash like I get when I shower?

What else could this be?

Thank you so much for your help!
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 2 hours later
Dear,

Scabies presents as itchy bumps and rashes especially in the folds of the body like groin, fingers, axillae etc.

The itching is more at night and one can’t sleep at times.

The history suggested by you- that you feel itchy after a hot shower suggests that you are suffering from cholinergic urticaria where due to heat - urticaria sets in only to subside as the temperature comes back to normal.

An antihistaminic like cyproheptadine, hydroxazine can be helpful in these cases but avoidance of hot water and shifting over to lukewarm water alone can help in most cases.

Dr.Rohit Batra