Red spots have appeared on the palm. Diagnosed with syphilis. Blood test done. What is the cause?

I have a very important question: on Friday I went to the dermatologist to investigate the jock itch rash i;ve had for about a month. Over the past week though I had a new concern, three red spots have appeared on the palm of my hand. First on the left hand, then on the right. The ones on the left went away after a few days, and the right ones are fading. On friday the dermatologist barely did anything, she just ended up testing me for syphilis. The strange thing is, that I've only had two sexual partners total and always have had safe sex. Neither of them are infected. I didn't think much of it until today, when i woke up around 4 am because of terribly itchy soles of my feet. I tried to just ignore them, but they have been a bit painful too. I havent treated them, but the itching has gone away for the most part, but i still feel pain when i walk. Do you really think this is syphilis? She did a blood test so i should get the results within the week, but in the mean time are there any other conditions that may cause these symptoms?
Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later
Thanks for the query

Your dermatologist is doing the exact thing which almost every doctor will be expecting regarding your symptoms. In most of conditions which causes itchy and painful rashes have sites like back, trunk neck, legs. syphilis has the unique feature of causing rash over the palms, sole of feets and ulcer on the penis skin.
VRDL is the quickest test for syphilis. however it is treatable disease and almost completely cured with two weeks time.
Sometimes some people are carriers who themselves are not infected but can transmit the infection. and it is not necessary that it must be syphilis but as doctor when we make differential diagnosis. we rule out the most serious condition on priority basis.

feel free to ask if you have any further queriess