Red spot on tongue, itching. Not allergic to any food, no lethargy. Had fever and vomiting.

My 5 year old daughter had a 101 degree fever and vomiting 2 days ago. She was seen by a doctor 2 days ago and was told she'd be fine, get plenty of rest and fluids. Today, the fever is pretty much gone, and no more vomiting---but now she has one red spot on the surface of her tongue and is complaining of it being itchy. No other symptoms. She is not allergic to any foods, is not lethargic, and her appetite is fine.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
It seems that your daughter has developed a fungal infection- oral candida causing erythroplakia. It can result from the mild dehydration she might have suffered during her illness.
Ask her to use iodine mouth wash and listerine mouth wash to keep the area clean.
Avoid hot and spicy foods.
She can apply candid lotion or other anti fungal preparation locally for relief. Keep her well hydrated.
It should heal in 3-5 days. If these simple measures do not help then you can consult her dentist for examination and proper medications.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.