Red spot on thumb, persistent, no pain. What could this be?

I woke up this morning with a strange red XXXXXXX at the base of my left thumb that looks like those red marks you get on your arm or leg from sleeping on them however this one doesn't seem to be going away. It only temporarily goes away when I rub on it or touch it and it will completely fade away only to return minutes later. I have some pictures of the spot on my hand when it is fully showing and after I rub it.

After Rubbed: WWW.WWWW.WW

It does not hurt when I touch it and what's weird is if I raise my that hand to support my head while on the computer the spot will go away. But once I put my hand back down to type it will reappear.

What could this be?

Good news, it seems to be fading away on it's own now. Granted it's doing so very slowly. However, I'm still curious as to what your opinion on this is.
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Follow-up: Red spot on thumb, persistent, no pain. What could this be? 16 minutes later
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 33 minutes later
Hi dear,

Ive gone through your images and query.

According to me it appears to be a insect bite or vascular dilatation.

It goes away on blanching indicates it is localised wheal formation.

Whenver there is localised vascular dilatation due to insect bite or traumatic or other causes it disappaer on pressure due to emptying of blood vessels.Only to reappear after some time due to filling back of vessels.

It is good it is fading away on its own.Nothing more needs to be done in this case.

Hope this helps.

I will be available for follow up if any.

Follow-up: Red spot on thumb, persistent, no pain. What could this be? 2 hours later

Thank you for answering my question.

The spot does not seem to be going away as it previously appeared. How long will something like this remain? When should I see my GP?

Thanks, XXXXXXX :)
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later

You can safely wait for 15 days.

It should go away on its own in 10 -15 days.

Should not hurry to visitvyour GP. As the lesion is small and asymptomatic watchful waiting is all that is required.