Ask a Urologist   »  

Red spot on penis after unprotected sex, no itching, fades when not having sex. Is it an STD?

Question
I notice a red spot on the head rim of my penis that was not there the night before having unprotected sex. I saw it the morning after have unprotected sex. Its been there for about a week 1/2. When niot having sex it fades but can tell its still there. Is it an STD? It doesnt itch or anything but its there
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 20 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thank you for the Query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Have you had unprotected sex with a stranger?
2.) Does it bleed while having sex?
3.) Do you get fever with chills?
4.) Do you have burning sensation while passing urine?
5.) Are they present in clusters or is it just a tiny little single bump?
6.) Are they present anywhere else on your body other than the penis?

Your History suggests you are having a Genital Wart caused by Human Papilloma Virus, (HPV) but it has to be confirmed. Kindly get yourself examined by a Urologist before it is too late. He/ She shall take your complete history, examine you and suggest few tests like,

1.) Blood Work.
2.) Urinalysis

and other necessary tests to confirm it. Once confirmed, the treatment will depend upon the cause which includes anti viral medications and surgical excision.

Follow these lifestyle modifications,

1.) Have protected sex and be faithful to a single partner.
2.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
3.) Avoid smoking and alcohol.
4.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Best Regards,
Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Red spot on penis after unprotected sex, no itching, fades when not having sex. Is it an STD? 1 hour later
No theres no burning at itching in the area. I dont see any clusters of bumps or anything. Do you think its warts? It wasnt a stranger that I was having sex with. It wasnt there the day befor. I noticed it the next morninn a week ago...

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for Writing Back to me.

It need not be always a stranger, but having sex with a stranger is always a risk factor for the warts to develop. I meant this when I asked you about the person you had sex with.

Warts is one of the possibility (differential diagnosis) in your case, just keep observing it regularly for any change in size, shape or number of the lesion, it may also develop as a result of constant friction when there isn't enough lubrication fluid secreted (Dry Vagina) while having sex. Also get your Partner examined for the same.

The warts spread through sexual contact and the risk factors include,

Factors that can increase your risk of becoming infected include:

1.) Having unprotected sex with multiple partners, which I don't think you did.
2.) Having had another sexually transmitted disease, which is absent in your case according to your History.
3.) Having sex with a partner whose sexual history you don't even know.
4.) Becoming sexually active at a very young age.

Kindly get yourself examined by a Urologist as i said at the earliest, follow the piece of advice which I have given you, stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Wish you Good Health.

Best Regards,
Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.