Red spot on finger and palm, hurt and itching. What can this be?

Yes about two days ago I encountered a red spot on my finger and now two days into it, my right palm is completely cOvered with red spots and they hurt and itch. My left hand also some as well but not so bad. Going to make appointment tomorrow to see doc. But I was just curious if you ad any idea what this may be, first time this has ever accurred to me??
Posted Sun, 1 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with a degree in cardiology and read your question with diligence.

Considering that you had slightly high blood pressure. Are you taking any medicine for many a medicines can cause allergic reaction as red itchy spots in hands. In fact any other medicine like Tylenol or OTC drugs or substances can cause allergy. Other causes of such lesions are:
1. Fungal infection: however these are ring shaped lesions
2. Eczema
3. Dermatitis
4. Sweat Dermatitis especially in those who sweat a lot.
5. Bacterial infection usually associated with systemic signs like fever which you did not mention.

You are seeing the doctor tomorrow, let me know what he/she thinks about it. Meanwhile, keep your hands clean. Avoid using any soap or detergent. Calamine lotion is also soothing apply that. Benadryl tablets shall also prove useful to deal with the itching. Note that Benadryl may cause drowsiness. This common over-the-counter antihistamine frequently gets used as a sleep aid that does not have the potential to be habit forming. You can take Tablet Benadryl 1 tablet at bedtime. Others include Claritin and Zyrtec both are similar choosing one is matter of personal preference. Instead of Benadryl, you can also take tablet Zyrtec 10 mg one tablet daily. The last one is Alavert 10 mg advantages are it can be chewed, swallowed or taken in dissolved form. It cause far less drowsiness.

Let us know if you need any other information and finally what your doctor advises.

With Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover MD(internal medicine), DM (cardiology)