Red spot on belly where I got sunburnt, white bumps over abdomen, symptoms of viral illness.

I got sunburnt over two weeks ago and have now been exhibiting symptoms of a viral illness, have a tiny red spot on my belly where severely burnt and have little white bumps over my abdomen area. I already peeled so am confused as to why I am getting white bumps that look like the beginning of a blister...
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 5 hours later

I would have been able to understand your problem better and thereby give you a better suggestion had you sent me a picture of the lesions.

From what I understand, you had these lesions after the sun burn. Sun burn can produce erythema and blister formation but not after two weeks. The effects should have been immediate if it were to be related to the sun burn.

Based on your description, the possibilities are furuncle if the lesion is painful. Viral infections commonly herpes is another possible condition that cause grouped vesicular or blister lesions.

Without a clinical examination, I am unable to give you a proper or close possibility. Hence I suggest you to post a good quality photo of the skin lesion/s. You may use the upload a picture option available to you on this web page.

Awaiting your reply to suggest a better reply.

Dr. P.V.S. Prasad
Follow-up: Red spot on belly where I got sunburnt, white bumps over abdomen, symptoms of viral illness. 2 hours later
Does it help to explain that I have also been getting blotchy rashes over where I got sunburnt, and have broken out in what I assume is hives (little pimples type lesions) over my chest, shoulders and even a few on my arms? Could this be part of a general reaction to sunburn (my skin is quite sensitive). I don't have a camera here, so am unable to send a picture.
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 2 hours later
Hello again,

Thanks for the follow-up.

Hives means that the rash comes and goes. it is usually used for a condition called urticaria. urticaria can be due to sun exposure which is called as solar urticaria. this will recur every time with sun exposure. Initially it may appear on the sun exposed areas but later on may spread to other areas too.
Light eruption may also occur after sun exposure as erythema as you have described. It occurs due to allergic sensitivity to UV rays. this is most common in sun exposed areas.

However I suggest that you may use sunscreens adequately and frequently when you go out in sunlight or to a beach resort. To reduce the blotchy erythema you may use mild corticosteroid creams like hydro cortisone and take anti histamines to get rid of itching due to allergy.

Hope I have answered all your queries.

Please accept my answer if you have no more queries.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Prasad PVS