Red spot above ankle, swelling, hard bump. Blood test, MRI and X-ray done. What can be the swelling, treatment, advise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a red spot above my ankle bone. My ankle swells unless I keep it elevated. However, there is a hard bump where the red spot is that doesn't go away. I have had blood work and x-rays and they were negative. I had an MRI which just showed tissue swelling. How could a hard bump be tissue swelling that doesn't go away? The spot is very painful when touched and when I walk or move it just right.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Since you have a history of fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis, such small soft tissue swellings could be due to synovial membrane hypertrophy or a fibroma. These are usually inflammatory in nature and do reduce after hot fomentation and adequate rest of the feet.
You can take over the counter analgesics like ibuprofen for temporary relief. Investigations like FNAC will help in determining the exact nature of the swelling.
In case the swelling is persistent then local steroid injections might be needed to reduce the inflammation under the guidance of your orthopedician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.