Red sores started appearing all over body. What is going on?

I have broken out in a few round red sores. They seem to just appear. I have a small one on my leg. Then two appeared on my stomach. They are next to each other. One is smaller than the other. This morning I saw one on the upper part of my back the size of a dime. What is going on? They don't itch. I have a large white Lab Shepherd and a German Shepherd. They are inside dogs for the most part. They sleep off and on my bed at night. They don't have ticks or fleas that I know of.
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 5 hours later
thanks for the query.

Skin sores could be diverse in their origin. Causes include;
-Infections; viral, bacterial, fungal or parasitic
-Psoriasis etc.
Viral infections most often present as blisters filled with fluid, some itchy and are either localized or generalized all over the body.
Bacterial infection of the skin is called impetigo. This is likely the cause of your sores. Impetigo is contagious on same skin; that is, touching a healthy part of the skin after touching the skin helps to spread the infection. It might present as reddish patches without dripping or as reddish patches with dripping or ulcer formation. Treatment is not complicated, use of antiseptics to clean frequently and antibiotics such as cloxacilline or even amoxicilline will do.
If the sores are ulcerating, with raised borders, it will be important to rule out leishmaniasis which is a parasitic infection.
Psoriasis is another possible cause but its unlikely because it occurs over joints especially and with scaling.
However most simple rashes will improve with gentle skin care such as;
Avoid scrubbing your skin and use of cosmetic lotions
Use as little soap as possible.
Use an antiseptic solution for cleaning. XXXXXXX dry, don't rub.
Leave the affected area exposed to the air as much as possible.
Also, skin sores may indicate a more severe underlying pathology such as a skin tumor or other systemic diseases thus after the above general rules together with some antibiotics, if the sores do not get over, then a visit to your doctor for an in dept evaluation will be necessary.
Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be glad to help.
Best regards
Follow-up: Red sores started appearing all over body. What is going on? 5 hours later
I looked up to see what Impetigo looks like and what I have does not look anything like it. They appear more like independent sores and not in a cluster of any sort. They're not flat, they rise somewhat, if you couldn't see it, you could feel it. One of them. Developed a small pus like in the middle of it and dried up, didn't run. Can I treat them with an over the counter medicine?
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later
thanks once more for the query.

The appearance of pus makes the sores more likely to be of an infectious origin.
First lie treatment will consist of using antiseptic solution to clean twice daily and follow the steps listed above. Some oral antibiotics would give an additional relieve. Normally, there should be an improvement within a week failure of which you will need to XXXXXXX a doctor.
Hope this answers your query and wish you a speedy recovery.
If you have further query please do not hesitate and if you do not have further query, you could close the discussion and rate the answers.
Best regards