Red sores on lips, burning sensation. Sign of oral cancer?

i have some red sores on my lips and i have burning sensation in this. What is this? Is it a sign of oral cancer
Posted Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
Sores on lips may be because of various reasons like apthous ulcers (a benign ulcer), vitamin B deficiency, trauma, sharp tooth and so on. Lip cancer is also a possible cause. Persistent ulcers for > 2 weeks, growth over time, history of tobacco chewing, enlarged glands in the neck increase the possibility of cancer. Clinical examination may rule out cancer but in some cases which are suspicious, biopsy will be required.

I think you should visit your physician and get it checked immediately. In all probability it will be a benign cause but should be evaulated still.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer any follwo up queries.

Warm regards.