Ask a Dentist   »  

Red sores in mouth after brushing. Is there a way to cure this problem?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Every time I brush my teeth I get little (red ulcer like) sores all over my mouth & tongue. I tried sensitive tooth paste and there is no difference. Is there a way to cure this problem? It is painful and I can hardly stand to brush as long as I should. After I rinse the sores are gone within 5 minutes.
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 1 hour later
Thanks for posting at XXXXXXX

Sores (temporary) in mouth may occur due to the following reasons:
-Allergy to some ingredient in your tooth paste
-Sensitive mucosa to harsh chemicals in paste like menthol
-Sensitive mucosa getting abraded by a Hard tooth brush
-Candidiasis of the oral cavity/Oral thrush

Your treatment will depend on the duration of this problem ie: since when are you having it and is there any redness or white patches on your tongue or anywhere in the oral cavity. Do you feel any burning sensation/pain on eating spicy food.

After reading your symptoms, i feel that you could be suffering from either Oral thrush(which gets exacerbated during brushing due to irritation by the paste/brush)or contact dermatitis which is a form of contact allergy. Though you did change your tooth paste, maybe the allergen was common in both the pastes. This needs to be verified by an allergy test.

I would recommend you to visit a dentist for examination for the same. Meanwhile you may use an antifungal mild mouthwash twice daily along with a soft bristled tooth brush.

If you have any more queries, i will be happy to help you.