Red smooth line between buttocks, painful to sit, no puss. Pilonidal cyst?

I notice that i have a red smooth line between my but, it hurts when i sit but the pain is bearable. It went away after 3 days then came back the red XXXXXXX is still there. I researched this on the internet and this comes up Pilonidal cyst, but its smooth to touch no puss inside? So i'm not sure what it is?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Abscess formation usually happens during the later stages of pilonidal cyst. The initial presentations are soreness and redness. Now based on your description, it seems that you might have pilonidal cyst in the initial stages. It is not necessary that it has to be infected and discharging.

Mild pain killer like tylenol and hot fomentation will benefit you. But the usual treatment is surgical drainage. Surgical treatment is often necessary if the symptoms progress and if there are signs of infection.

I encourage you to get an appointment from your surgeon as soon as possible to know the nature of the cyst. You may need a course of antibiotics which can be prescribed to you by your doctor.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.