Red, scaly patches on thigh. Not itchy. Something to worry about?

Jul 2012

I have a couple of red scaly patches on my upper right thigh on the outside. They are not itchy. I have been moisturising them for over a week now to little effect and wonder if there is something to worry about. I am female, 41 and never expose my thighs to the sun.
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there. I noted your description of the rash & viewed the uploaded photograph. I do take note that you say they are not itchy. Being unilateral & going by their look, i would recommend trying an antifungal cream locally preferably admixed with a mild corticosteroid for some 3-5 days & then shifting to the pure antifungal. Might i suggest a ketoconazole based cream admixed with some hydrocortisone cream.
Dont does not appear anything to worry about. It is not likely to be photoaggravated in any case. Icthyosis or dry skin may be a contributory factor & perhaps you should switch to a 10% urea mosituriser (bioderma has a brand called nutraplus possibly available in your region). This should ideally be applied on 'wet' skin after bathing sans wiping of. Please do use a cleansing bar like Dove or Cetaphil to bathe with. If in 2 weeks on this regime, you have no response whatsoever, then please fix an appointment with your dermatologist & you may require to go in for a skin biopsy purely for academic interests to help pinpoint the cause but methinks higly unlikely. Should respond to the medications i have suggested well before then. Cheers & here's wishing you a clear skin soon!
Follow-up: Red, scaly patches on thigh. Not itchy. Something to worry about? 28 minutes later
Hi thanks for the advice. I already use Dove in the shower, and I'll try the topical treatments you suggested. I have keratosis pillaris on the back of my thighs and regularly moisturise to combat dry skin. Would to recommend that I use a AHA moisturiser to remove dry skin, or just stick to something emollient like Nutraplus?

I perhaps also should have mentioned that I have PCOS, but didn't think it was particularly relevant, because I'm not on any medication for it.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 9 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX thanks for the clarifications. No, i doubt the PCOS would have much bearing on this particular state of affairs. Yes AHA moisturiser localised appln may be useful but if better or not as compared to nutraplus, is relative. I would go with Nutraplus (10% urea) but its a personal choice given the 'odour', packaging et al of the latter may not be as conducive! But Keratosis pilaris is part of the icthyosis (dry skin), atopic dermatitis picture more often than not & is stubborn but graded AHA as in 10%, 20% etc may be useful or combinations involving AHA. Cheers & Good Luck with the treatment.