Red, round, shiny spots on chest, not itchy or scaly. Hair loss on scalp. Help

Jul 2012

My boyfriend has red round "shiny" spots on his chest that just appeared within 24 hrs. They're not itchy or scaley. About 2 months ago he noticed a small patch of hair missing after a visit to the barbershop. His mother gave him iodine which burned his scalp raw. Now the hair loss area is larger and has short black hairs with peach fuzz hairs where the scalp was burnt and has scar tissue. Please help as he does not have health insurance and does not want to leave the house often due to the loss of hair in that one area. Could the red patches on his chest be related or is this just a rash?
Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Once again apologies at the outset..system glitch & the 3rd time attempting to answer this question. The 2 problems in my opinion are unrelated. The first appears to be what we commonly call alopecia areata & the skin is damaged using iodine. Please use any soothing cream (bioderma's cicabio comes to mind if available in your parts) coupled with a corticosteroid cream for 2 weeks & then switch to 5% topical minoxidil spray/lotion used twice/day on dry scalp. The hair WILL grow back. The other problem requires a dermatologist's intervention to do a skin scraping & view under a microscope (very easy, safe & pain free process taking some 15 -20 mts) & will help differentiate between a fungal or viral condition..both very easily managed & not XXXXXXX at all. it's nice you care so much for your boyfriend that you enquire on his behalf. cheers & good luck. tust this answers both queries. please do accept the answer or feel free to ask any further clarifications but dont worry they are simple conditions & easily remedied. cheers!
Follow-up: Red, round, shiny spots on chest, not itchy or scaly. Hair loss on scalp. Help 6 hours later
Where can I find these creams? And what they be called at the pharmacy?
And thank you so much by the way. He was really concerned about the hair loss. You've helped ease our minds.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 5 hours later
Hello again. Glad i could be of help. Am happy i helped ease your minds. Sadly, the site rules et al prevent me from divulging trade names of medications so pharmacological names are the best i could do. Please take a copy of the previous advice/transcript with you to your local pharmacist & am sure he will be able to help. Good Luck. Cheers!