Red raw throat, bubble blister on hand and tongue, tiredness, on amoxicillin, paracetamol, calpol, tonsillitis

Im 35, 5ft 4 and 8 and half stone. My son is 4. I have had red raw throat for past 3 weeks, and can see a bubble blister on the right hand side at the back. My Gp gave me amoxillan antibiotics for a week (last week) and I finished them on Monday. My throat is still very sore and Im still getting very tired and fluey if I do too much. My glands are all still up and round the back of my neck. My son seems ok, but have noticed he now has clear bubble like blister on the back of his tongue. Am using a spray for my throat, paracetamol and sucking sweets for me. my son just having some calpol. I dont think either of us have temperatures. what else can I do? and do we need to see dr again, or just grin and bear it as it's probably viral? My son is prone to regular tonsilitus but this is definiately not that as he normally gets a temperature and stops eating/ drinking. I had tonsilitus regularly as a child but think have more or less outgrown now. I had mild glandula feve in 1990 which lasted 1 week!
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later

Both you and your son after taking a course of antibiotic still are suffering from soreness and a blister means that the antibiotic has not cured you completely- Either the duration of treatment was insufficient or the choice of antibiotic was not appropriate.

Not having fever and being able to eat and drink means that infection is there but not as much to cause these symptoms. If left untreated it will gradually reach that stage.
The swellings you are seeing on the back of the throat of your son are most likely the swollen tonsils. Usually these are associated with difficulty in swallowing, cough and fever.

1) For pain relief, anti-inflammatory, fever reducing medications (acetaminophen, ibuprofen) will help you.
2)For sore throat relief you can have salt water gargles (gargle with XXXXXXX warm salt water- one forth teaspoon of salt would be enough in half a cup of water) several times a day, lozenges and warm liquids.
3)Avoid Acidic Drinks, Spicy Food and Soar Substances.
4)Antibiotics - broad spectrum are a must to get relief as you can start taking them in consultation with your physician who will tell you the most appropriate schedule for you after proper examination. A throat swab culture and sensitivity will be best in choosing an antibiotic.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.