Red rashes appeared on arm, back and groin area. How to cure this?

red bloches like rash under left arm side ,back side moving to groin area like moving to hot spots fatigue , burnt plastic smell /things just smell kind of chemical in a way . started with one bloch under arm . spreading to several hundred in a month.doesnt itch. water weight gain
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 19 minutes later
Hi there, thanks for asking. It is a common problem, so I felt I can talk about it for you. The name of the situation is tinea versicolor. It is the most common skin condition caused by an organism. It is seen very frequently in the humid area. About 5 percent of the USA population has it, while many of them even do not leave in a humid area. It starts with one spot on the skin and gradually spreads to the other areas. There is usually no itching. It is not XXXXXXX Many people prefer to treat it because of the aesthetic aspects. Fortunately, it is not contagious so there is no risk of transmission. It is usually treated with topical ointments or shampoos and it is easily treated. If you control your sweating, it can help for prevention of its repetition in the future. I wish you a good health.
Follow-up: Red rashes appeared on arm, back and groin area. How to cure this? 6 hours later
i am in air conditioning all the time .my bad on this it is like hives kind of broken blood vessels under the skin with no leasons on surface that one can see some are lond as wide as a pen and about 3 inches long some are just the size a a XXXXXXX and maybe half the size it looks like blood comming to surface of the skin. not all are round just all diffrent shapes some long some like a ink bloch it is spreading rather fast in last 2 days like i said before it was just one a few weeks back this is very strange to me . feeling kind of fatigued lately as well sometimes rapid heart rate the anti histime seams to slow it down or it is the cause what do you think ?
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 52 minutes later
Thanks for asking. It is better that your skin condition be observed and also inspected (and if necessary a specimen be sent to laboratory) by your doctor to see if it is versicolor. Don't worry so much about the shape of them, because if it is tinea versicolor, they manifest themselves as quite diverse shapes.

Tinea versicolor responds well to antifungal treatment. Therefore if it tinea versicolor, you may take some antifungal shampoo (like ketokonazole) or ointment to control it and if the involved skin area is vast, you may take the oral medication which would be easier.

You may also tell your doctor about any possible systemic health situation (like any immunologic issues, etc) since they may affect the evolution of the disease and also its treatment may be different.

Feeling fatigue could be a separate issue or it could be related to the skin condition. If you do not have an easy access to your doctor, you can send a picture of some part of your skin and then I will be able to talk about it much better.

I wish you a good health.
Follow-up: Red rashes appeared on arm, back and groin area. How to cure this? 13 hours later
ketoconazole (Extina or Nizoral)
selenium sulfide shampoo
have these 2 things at hand not from me but a female friend who suffers from something similer that happens to her skin .I did look up the tinea and did find a match on photos with it . cant figure out how to past one to this site ,so sending picture i'am not sure on how to do that .I see it isnt contagious but is it possible in rubbing on ones skin that is say sweaty that it could transfer to another.Thank you for your help will try the things listed to treat it and hope for the best thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 4 hours later
Hi again there, thanks for your attention and follow up.

Even in "close contacts" as the way you mentioned, there is no risk of transmission. It is found on the surface of the skin of most of us, so the problem is not its transmission, but the fact that in some circumstances our skin and also are immune system could become vulnerable to the overgrowth of this organism.

Those medications you mentioned would be helpful, and they should be used at least for two weeks or more, depending on the situation and the type of the medication.

You have a feature to upload the reports/images by yourself on the right side of this query page. You may want to utilize it.

Alternatively, you may mail it to me at YYYY@YYYY with subject as "Attention to Dr. Hajiazim".

Let me know if you have any other question.

Best of health!
Follow-up: Red rashes appeared on arm, back and groin area. How to cure this? 5 hours later
Here are some photos best could do with camera .you might have to ajust zoom a bit . these are the largest spots but it is in groan area and around backside and such , in the mass numbers just not as large as some of these .Thanks for the info on the upload thing .Thank you for you time in this .
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 13 hours later
Thank you for uploading the photos. The interesting point regarding tinea versicolor (which is a misnomer since it is not contagious and it is just because of overgrowth of skin saprophytes) is that people with dark skin show bright spots and people with white skin show pigmented spots.

I recommend that you start using the medication you have in hand (ketokonazole or selenium) and if you do not observe response after several days, go to your doctor to let him examine the texture of the spots since it is not possible to be done in the website.

Skin lesions are pretty similar to each other in many cases and sometimes doctors need to take biopsy and send it to the laboratory to see what it could be (it is a possibility). Now you have enough information to start and I wish it is resolved in a few days. I wish you the best health.