Red rash with small raised bumps on torso. What does this indicate?

My 17 year old son just showed me a red rash, with small raised bumps that he said began on his torso about a week ago, but has now spread to his groin, and upper thighs. He says it itches, but he has no other symptoms. I gave him Zyrtec anti-hive liquid and we are waiting to see if that works. He's not changed his habits or diet recently. Any thoughts?
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: pityriasis rosea ; follow up with pictures Detailed Answer: Hi, I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope to help you in the same. Now going by the description of the skin rash that you have provided, especially the affected sites point towards something like pityriasis rosea. But before jumping to any diagnosis, I would like to have a close look at the skin lesions. It would be great if you can click some close up pictures of the skin lesions and upload them here on this page. You can also mail the pictures at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul. Also I would like to know the duration since when the skin lesions are present and the affected sites as to whether there are lesions over face and arm. Is there any history of cough and cold before the development of the skin rash. I am sure that I would be able to help you more once you follow up with the pictures. Waiting for your response Dr Geetika Paul.