Red rash on my lower left ankle. Could this be Lyme? Should I go to the ER?

I am a fit 47 yr. old female who likes to hike. Recently, I was hiking and I now have a bright red rash on my lower left ankle. The rash is not a "bull's eye" rash, but it is bright red, not itchy, not raised. It is about 2 inches wide by 4 inches long. I noticed the rash last night. Today I noticed my left knee felt sore, and just now noticed that it is quite swollen. I know that my excercise did not cause an injury. Could this be Lyme? If so, should I go to the ER to get treated, or wait until Monday to call my MD?
Posted Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May be due to Lymes disease or allergic rash

Detailed Answer:
Hi Thanks for using XXXXXXX

I went through your query and understand the concern.

Keeping in mind your medical history of asthma and recent hiking, the bright red rash may be due to allergic reaction or due to any injury/constant pressure on the area.

If you can upload the photo of the rash it will be better to diagnose the cause.

Your rash may be due to lymes disease: A history of visiting a tick infected area where Lyme disease is frequent is required. The rash in Lyme disease looks like large erytematous reddish and very characteristic. Usually accompanied by joint pain. A serological test for lymes disease can be helpful for diagnosis (blood test with ELISA or Immunoassay for Lyme (Borrelia antibodies). A visit to dermatologist will allow confirmation of diagnosis and subsequent treatment.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well.

Wish you a very happy life and good health.