Red rash on both sides of lips and applied vaseline. No result. Could I apply triple antibiotic ointment?

Question
I HAVE RED RASH ON BOTH SIDES OF MY LIPS. HAVE APPLIED VASELINE & OINTMENTS BUT STILL HAVE THE RASHES FOR 2 WEEKS. WOULD "TRIPLE ANTIBIOTIC OINTMENT" HEAL THE RASHES??? HAVE A TUBE OF IT HERE AT THE HOUSE. THANK YOU, XXXXXXX YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most probably cheilitis,multivitamins,candida

Detailed Answer:

According to your saying, it could be cheilitis, inflammation of both sides of the lips, which happens commonly in elderly people like you.

I would suggest as following:

- take some multivitamins containing B complex and folic acid together with other vitamins and minerals as most commonly it is related to such vitamins deficiencies.

- Do you wear dentures? - They can cause such problems together with candida infection. You can perform the mouth swab testing for candida to be sure it is because of this fungal infection.

If you are wearing dentures, please keep a good oral and denture hygiene.

With regards using a triple antibiotic ointment, you can use it, but I strongly recommend to perform the testing for candida to start another fungal therapy.

Hope it helped!

You can write to me if you have any inquiry!