Red patches on face, below eyes, chin, above brows, steroid cream, zyrtec tablets. gardasil shots. Cause?

Hi, I'm 40 and live in Aisa (Hong Kong), and have 2 questions. (1) In the last 3 years whenever the weather changes (ie. from spring to summer, or from summer to autumn), I got red patches on my face, concentrating on the areas below my eyes, on my chin and above my brows. The conditions are mild and I always have to put steroid cream to stop them, and sometimes have to take zyrtec tablets. I never changed any skincare nor shampoo nor live in polluted part of the district. May I ask what kind of tests I should do to find out the cause of eczema on my face? Such eczema is never found on other parts of my body. (2) I am considering taking Gardasil shot. May I ask if I am suitable for taking Gardasil?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 40 minutes later

From the symotoms that you have described, the possibility of atopic eczema is high. It is a condition that involves scaly and itchy rashes and may be aggravated by pollen, mold, dust mites, or animals. Change in weather may cause such symptoms.

To confirm the diagnosis you need to get skin allergy testing and a biopsy of the skin scrapings done. Diagnosis of allergies is by skin prick or patch tests. In these tests, a small amount of allergen is injected into the skin of the forearm by a doctor. If you are allergic to the allergen then you will develop a red, itchy bump on the site of injection. Confirmatory test is by blood tests (RAST).

Regarding gardasil shots, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends HPV vaccine for all girls ages 11 or 12 years old. The vaccine is also recommended in girls and women ages 13 through 26 years old who have not already received the vaccine or have not completed all booster shot. Even U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends vaccination before adolescence and potential sexual activity. It has still not given approval for these shots in women above 35- 40 years of age. So discuss it with your doctor before going in for these shots.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.