Red patches on arms with no itching. What could this be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My husband has red splotches on his arms that come and go, and last night bleed while he was sleeping. They don't itch.
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It can be urticarial dermatitis

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

According to your history possibility of urticarial dermatitis is likely.
Biopsy may be needed for diagnosis. Urticarial dermatitis is an early sign of bullous pemphigoid in some patients. Eventually tense blisters appear.
Usually treatment with tropical steroids gives relief.

Another differential diagnosis include Bullous pemphigoid
Bullous pemphigoid results in crops of tense, fluid-filled, itchy blisters. The blisters may be filled with clear, cloudy or blood-stained fluid. They may arise from normal-looking or inflamed skin. In severe cases, there may be blisters over the entire skin surface as well as blisters inside the mouth.
I will advise to consult your treating doctor for management.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.