Red palatoglossal arch after window tooth extraction and have heart burn. Got a positive H pylori bacteria. Why is progress slow?

ENT Specialist
Hello i'm having red palatoglossal arch first noticed about 9 months ago, after wisdow tooth extraction and i had heartburn, went to Laryngologist to check for cancer he didn't said anything about it, two weeks ago got a positive on H pylori bacteria, guessing that caused rapid heartburn, still taking antibiotics for this and redness slowly progresses
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 11 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
The congestion or redness over the palatoglossal arch (also known as anterior tonsillar pillar) is commonly noticed in two conditions (i) Chronic tonsillitis and (ii) Chronic pharyngitis.

Heart burn is a symptom secondary to the reflux of the gastric contents from the stomach into the throat and this regurgitation of acid is perceived as heart burn. H. pylori could be one of the cause of increased acidity and reflux of the gastric contents. This could be an inciting cause for the congestion that you are currently experiencing.

It is very unlikely that you could be having cancer at this age and you do not seem to have any symptoms of the cancer either. Redness is because of long-standing inflammation in that area which could be either due to tonsillar pathology or pharyngeal pathology.

Once the medications for the H.pylori are taken, then the congestion will slowly reduce because, the inciting cause is taken care off. Apart from this, I would also suggest you drink plenty of warm water and avoid smoking/coffee/tea/chilled beverages/alcohol for few days.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon