Ask a Urologist   »  

Red, painful rash on buttocks, and a white irritating discharge from urethra. Is it tinea cruris?

Had a red,painful rash on my buttocks, and a white, irritating discharge from my urethral. GYN said not yeast. Buttocks healed, but not urethral discharge. Is it tinea cruris, and how do I treat it? Been 3 months. Had urinary cather for 22 months 6 years ago, and have frequent UTIs.
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 3 hours later

You have co-morbid conditions including, myelodysplastic anemia, joint replacement and long indwelling catheter.
White discharge per urethra can be due to urethritis - bacterial, viral or fungal.

You should evaluate the risk factors because your infection has been there for a long time - these include- Blood sugar fasting to rule out diabetes, Ultrasound abdomen to see for post-void residual urine in urine bladder, urine routine and culture to rule out UTI.

White discharge can be gonococcal or non gonoccocal.

Tinea cruris generally has skin involvement and needs antifungal creams containing terbinafine.

Tinidazole used with doxycycline or azithromycin may cure persistent culture negative urethritis.

All these treatment options should be done under guidance of your doctor.

Hope this helps in case of any further questions please reply back.