Red marks on nose and between eyes. What can it be?

Excellent

Question
Hi from time to time I get a red XXXXXXX on the bridge of my nose between my eyes, seems like a love bite you see on a teenagers neck, and disappears in about the same amount of time about 2 or 3 day. can you help with an answer? the spot is about as big as a match head or a little bigger, usually forming in my sleep. about 4 times a year.
Posted Sat, 16 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 7 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX.

Have you sustained any insect bite or trauma ?

Is the rash itchy and are there any blisters on the affected region ?

Do you wear spectacles ?

Do you have skin allergy or asthma ?

Any fever, joint pains, weakness, hairfall, skin rashes anywhere else on the body ?

Have you had any bleeding from nose headaches ?

According to the clinical history provided, there are many possibilities. It could be a problem of the bleeding parameters of your blood like platelet problems, fragile blood vessels which break easily, infections, autoimmune disorders, Erythema nodosum, vascular disorders etc.

It is advisable to get a routine blood investigation as well as bleeding and clotting parameters to be checked especially if you have any red skin blotches anywhere on your body. This needs to be evaluated by your Doctor and after a complete physical examination the diagnosis will be provided but sometimes further investigations may be needed to find the cause.

Kindly consult with a Dermatologist to rule out above causes including insect bite. Insect bite is likely if there is associated itching.

You may apply Lactocalamine lotion as of now to the affected area. Avoid scratching the rash.

Eat a healthy diet. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Do daily moderate exercise like brisk walking. Get 6-8 hours of sleep daily. Avoid smoking and alcohol.

Kindly follow up your progress wit me.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Red marks on nose and between eyes. What can it be? 32 minutes later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX Thank you for you fast reply, I am following up to let you know I do not have any of the mentioned symptoms. I am a stunt performer, and therefore get plenty of excersise everyday, and I do not believe that it is an insect bite. It does seem to appear in the same place each time, meaning the same region but not exactly the same sopt, meaning I dont think it is a weak vessel. however it does only happen in my sleep which I find strange and only about 4 times a year.
It is not itchy or give me any discomfort, nor do I have any marks anywhere else on my body.
Being in such a strange place and happing on such an irregular basis I thought it would or could be some kind of recognisible symptom for something like diet or eczema. I do have some kind of hand eczema that makes my hands peel every spring, which has just happened, but that is not red or seem to be blood related, I get tiny blisters under the skin on the palms of my hands which seems to cause the skin to die and peel, it is not to severe though and only once a year in spring, this only began a few years ago and I think due to a pollon allergy. could it in some way be connected to that. or maybe stress related? inn general I have a good diet and keep in very good physical shape.

many thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 15 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX.

Thanks for your reply.

I have reviewed your photograph of the lesion attached to your query.

Since your hands peel during spring time, it is possible you have allergic skin disease. Pollen is definitely a trigger. Other triggers are woolen clothing, nickel metal in eye-glasses, perfumes, cosmetics, certain sunscreens etc.

Hence I would suggest that you be careful with the use of above mentioned substances. Avoid exposure to sunlight and cold weather. Keep warm. If you have skin itching you can take a Cetrizine or Loratidine tablet, under medical supervision, which are anti-histamines to control allergic itching.

Patch testing at a Dermatology Clinic will help find the triggers which cause these rashes. Once the triggers are found, you can specifically avoid them to avoid allergic reaction.

You can apply Dermaveen Moisturizing Cream. It is anti-allergic cream which will prevent complication of such reactions and keep soft, hydrated and prevent drying and peeling.