Ask a Urologist   »  

Red lump on penis, had sebaceous cysts, not painful, not had unprotected sex. Does this sound like herpes?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi, I have a small red lump (spot type) on the lower shaft of my penis and I am worried it may be herpes. I have had sebaceous cysts in the past as there are plenty of these glands around that area but not for a long time and i am concerned about this particular spot. It is not painful and came up over night. I don't know if herpes works like this? I have not had un-protected sex for about 5 months. There is only one spot around the base of my penis and as I said its painless. It doesn't completely resemble what I have seen from other herpes pics but it hard to tell. Does this sound like herpes or just another sebaceous gland? I have attached an image to help. Many thanks
Posted Fri, 29 Jun 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
I have seen the image attached with the query. The spot on the base of your penis is not likely to be due to herpes.
If your worry is only about Herpes, the features of Herpes would be slight different. There is pain, redness with lot of itching. It generally presents with group of lesions, multiple in number. It is associated with fever, body pain as constitutional symptoms unlike yours which is just local.
The spot you are having is more likely to be a sebaceous gland. It will subside on its own without any treatment.
Please do not worry.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.