Red, itchy streak on back of leg and arm, may be a detergen reaction. Any advice?

I have long red itchy streaks on the back of my right leg and arm...I thought it might be a detergent reaction but it doesn't make sense it's only the right side... any advice?
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
I have seen the picture attached.
The likely causes in my opinion are-
1. Dermatitis- due to skin infection, allergy,etc.
2. Dry skin- Xerosis.
Most of the times such rashes improve on their own without any treatment.
Emollients or moisturizers help keep the skin moist, and also help skin repair itself. They protect the skin from becoming inflamed again. They are a key part of preventing and treating such dermatitis.

Corticosteroid skin creams or ointments may reduce inflammation. Overuse, even of low-strength over-the-counter products, may cause a skin condition should be used with caution.
I advice you to follow this above mentioned measures still if it persists or if it spreads consult the dermatologist for examination and also to find out the cause.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.