Red itchy rashes appeared on inner thigh, knee and armpit. Could it be herpes?

I have had a rash that went from slight irritation to having extremely itchy raised bumps for about a week on my right inner thigh in the fold and slightly down my legs, on the back of my right knee, and and slightly underneath my left armpit. The most I can compare it too it similar to contact dermititis and there was no fluid ozzing, no extreme pain and none looked like pimples. It does not look like herpes. Maybe even slightly looked like a fungal infection. Just almost like a lot of insect bites. I went to a doctor and he told me this was not herpes and gave me Methylpredlsonlone 4mg tablets and some Triamcinolone 0.1% cream. The itching went away withing 2 days of him giving me the medication and the bumps are gone. the area is still red and it has been a week since the sex and 5 days since I started the medication. This rash occurred the day after I slept with a girl who has herpes for a year, and never had an outbreak over the course of that year. We were having sex with a condom then we took it off for less then 10 minutes. We were pretty drunk. I slept in her bed naked though. So i was partially thinking about it being contact derminitits since I have used her bottle of body wash and she just changed her detergent. Is it possible I might have herpes or is it just a skin condition?
Posted Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 8 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
From the clinical history given above, there are two possibilities - either herpes viral infection or fungal infection.

Contact dermatitis would have lead to itching as well as lesions all over your body.
In case of herpes infection, in case of primary infection it is mild with few blisters and pain. But lesions will be in particular area supplied by particular nerve/dermatome.
From the description given above, it does not indicate particular dermatome on your body. So be sure, it can not be viral in that case.

It mainly looks like fungal infection. But lesions have to circular with clear center and active periphery. But as you have applied steroids, appearance of lesions become varied.
Steroid will only relieve itching but you need to take antifungal to clear infection. You can consult dermatologist for second opinion.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, please revert back.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.