Red, itchy rash on limbs. Sore and stiff fingers. I am pregnant

i am 12weeks pregnant and i have developed a horrible red itchy rash over my legs,arms, hands and fingers forehead, around my eyes and my scalp. i noticed this morning that my fingers are sore and stiff and i get little relief from the itch, especially on my palms. GP gave me antihistimines and a lotion but it doesn't appear to be working
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later

Pregnancy is associated with an increase in the amount and severity of a number of different skin conditions including but not limited to: atopic dermatitis (allergic skin rash where the person is hypersensitive), psoriasis (skin disease related to the life cycle of skin cells causing thick plaques on the skin which may be silvery in color) and acne.

Pregnancy makes the management of alot of skin conditions more difficult because alot of the medications normally used must be avoided.

Itching in pregnancy can be related to atopic dermatitis/eczema which was mentioned earlier, contact dermatitis (where something that is coming in contact with your skin and irritating it, usually it is localised to that particular area), in some women it is due to a build up of bile (this is treated with antihistamines and in severe cases other medication is added, detected by liver function tests)

There is also a condition called prurigo of pregnancy which presents with scratchy itchy bumps (this may be what is happening), it is usuallly managed with topical steroid creams and emollients (creams to keep the skin moisterised because this tends to reduce the itching) and antihistamines. The exact cause is unknown.

I hope this information helps, your doctor may consider doing liver function tests to check for excess bile which, if present is mananged with medication.
As stated in pregnancy alot of medications would not be recommended so you will have to use the topical steroids (may use stronger ones), antihistamines and emollients.

Feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Red, itchy rash on limbs. Sore and stiff fingers. I am pregnant 2 hours later
is any of the conditions you mentioned of danger to my baby
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later

The atopic dermatitis, psoriasis, prurigo, contact dermatitis will not pose any problems to your baby.
bile), if diagnosed by history and blood tests pose a slightly increased risk of preterm delivery and slight increased risk of meconium stained fluid (when during delivery, baby passses stool). This condition , however, is only diagnosed if your liver function tests (bile levels) are elevated, normally ,in pregnancy , some of the other liver blood test are expected to rise.

Prurigo which poses no risk and is more common.

You should consider speaking to your doctor re definative diagnosis of the rash.

i hope this helps and wishing you a beautiful and healthy baby.Feel free to ask anything else