Ask a Urologist   »  

Red itchy penis head, painful while retracting, wife had herpes, outbreak, using colloidal silver spray & aloe vera gel.

Question
Head of my penus is very red . Very painful to pull back foreskin. Rather itchy also Wifes ex gave her Herpes 40 years ago. Could that be the problem? Have had an outbreak in the past.
Have been washing with anti bacterial soap. Spraying with colloidal silver and applying Aloe Vera Gel.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 4 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Redness and itchy symptoms of the penis with the background of Herpes history to your wife might need an examination of the doctor and blood tests to screen for infection. Specially so in case this is the first time if you have got these symptoms.

Antibacterial soap, silver applications and aloe vera would be for superficial improvements on the short stage. For the cause, a check up is a must.

The most common cause I can think of in your scenario is a viral infection and not bacterial as you do not seem to have other constitutional symptoms like high grade fever etc. Even if it is viral, if you are prompt with the visit - antiviral creams and medications would be prescribed as necessary by your doctor for a specified couple of weeks duration depending on the clinical screen.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Red itchy penis head, painful while retracting, wife had herpes, outbreak, using colloidal silver spray & aloe vera gel. 6 hours later
As you mentioned above . This is not the first time this type of infection has happened. I had same outbreak a few years ago. That is why I presumed it was herpes. Thank You

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 8 hours later
Thanks for your reply.

In that case, the reactivation reason with a typical Herpes viral infection is important on your end to get evaluated soon.

Sincerely,

Follow-up: Red itchy penis head, painful while retracting, wife had herpes, outbreak, using colloidal silver spray & aloe vera gel. 19 hours later
With the pain and discomfort of the foreskin , could this be phimosis?

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 3 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

'Phimosis' is a post scarring condition. The acute symptoms that you have do not correlate well with this.

With the presence of herpes outbreaks in the past, the described symptoms are likely to be related to herpes. And as mentioned in my earlier replies, I suggest you to consult your physician to rule out herpes first.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Sincerely,