Red, itchy, burning soles of feet after being wet for a prolonged period. What should I do?

The soles of my feet are red itchy and burning after being wet for a prolonged period (a couple days) what should I do? They feel a bit better if I'm not walking or standing.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
I get the feeling with the background of your symptoms, like itching and burning, you have been exposed to something you are allergic to. It could be a fungal infection also due to prolonged wetness.

Now, I would advice a step wise recommendation for you:
1. Wash thoroughly the area with soap and water.
2. If burning is troubling you, apply cold compresses.
3. You can try lukewarm bath or calamine lotion.
4. Avoid outdoor walks for a while.
5. If really itchy, you would need an antihistaminic medicine.
6. If nothing of above works then you should get some prescription medicines like steroids to cut out stubborn rashes.
7. If really painful, take some over the counter Analgesic for the night.
8. You can also apply clotrimazole lotion locally thrice daily for relief.

I would advice you to do this step wise over 2-3 days or if you think its no use, then abruptly end the above steps and rush to the doctor to have stronger prescription medicines and antibiotics.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.